Take a moment to think about all the technology you interact with during an average day of work. Depending on your business, you likely rely on a number of devices like computers, printers, phones, projectors, and more. However, those examples only touch on hardware—what about the software you use? For example, if you work with Office 365, then you use cloud platform services.
While you may not realize it, your IT plays a part in almost everything you do. Your IT infrastructure is the backbone of your operations. That’s why making decisions for the present and future of your technology environment is so important. To ensure you’re maximizing the potential of your IT, you need a professional who understands your infrastructure inside and out.
What Does a Virtual CIO Do?
IT infrastructure consists of all the hardware, software, resources, and services that are required for the operation and management of your company. Your IT department is in charge of the management of your technology. However, that department needs someone who can oversee IT strategy to ensure everything is firing on all cylinders. This is where a chief information officer (CIO) comes into play.
A CIO is someone who is put in charge of your IT strategy and computer systems in order to support your organizational goals. When your systems need to be updated or new technology needs to be implemented, the CIO is who you turn to. They are also responsible for things like consultation, IT budgeting and planning, vendor management, and more. The only problem is that hiring a full-time CIO isn’t cheap, meaning small- to medium-sized companies may not have it in their budget to hire someone for this position.
In this situation, most businesses choose to have a vCIO instead. A vCIO means a virtual chief information officer—this person acts as a dedicated resource and serves as a chief information officer on an on-demand basis. Provided by a third-party vendor, it’s their responsibility to steer your infrastructure in a direction that can help you achieve your business goals.
How a vCIO Can Improve Your Business
If you’ve had the experience of buying new technology only to see an upgraded version of that device released a week or month later, then you understand how quickly the technology landscape moves. In order to stay competitive, it’s necessary to keep up with trends and implement new technology when the time comes. Your vCIO can act as a guide, helping your business make well-informed decisions that align your IT with your business objectives. Here are a few other things you can expect your vCIO to do for you:
- Enhance your IT: The first step to improving your IT environment is to understand its capabilities. By performing an analysis, the vCIO gains a better picture of the strengths and weaknesses of your systems. From there, they can implement solutions to eliminate those weaknesses.
- Plan for the future: Staying ahead of trends so your company’s technology is future-proof is one of the most important roles of a vCIO. It’s their job to look around the corner and see how shifts in the technology world could impact your business down the road. This allows you to stay competitive.
- Improve your staff: A vCIO can also assist in helping your employees find better ways to use the technology they have access to.
Benefits of vCIO Services
For small- to medium-sized businesses, a vCIO can be an invaluable resource. Here are some of the benefits of having a vCIO:
- Decreased operating costs: vCIO services are an on-demand solution, meaning you only pay for the service you get. As a result, you get the expertise you need at a fraction of the price of a full-time CIO.
- Predictable budgeting: With the help of a vCIO, you can create a budget for your IT environment that makes sense for the demands of your business.
- Business continuity: From cyber security to disaster recovery strategies, your vCIO can help your company continue business as usual in case of an emergency.
Industry-Leading vCIO Services Are Only a Call Away
As your partner, our goal at 42, Inc. is to put your business in the best position possible for success. One of the many ways we do this is through our virtual CIO services. Our staff is highly trained and experienced and ready to help you align your IT with your business objectives.
Contact us today to learn more about our vCIO solution.